Central Web Services (CWS) provides hosting and support for informational, public-facing web content to appropriate campus entities, which include:
- Administrative units
- Professional organizations
We don’t offer services for:
- Online courses. The Center for Learning, Experimentation, Application, and Research (CLEAR) assists with Canvas course creation and implementation.
- Student organization websites. The Division of Student Affairs (DSA) assists with OrgSync questions.
- Intranet websites. Contact your Office 365 administrator for SharePoint assistance.
CWS staff respond to support requests submitted via the online ticketing system at https://ithelp.untsystem.edu.
Routine service requests will receive a response within eight business hours and design and assessment within five business days. When one or more sites are unavailable, critical incident requests will receive a reply within one hour and a resolution within eight hours. Routine incident requests, isolated to a single location and don’t affect service availability, receive a response within four business hours and a resolution within 24 business hours.
This SLA does not cover support requests submitted through channels other than the online ticketing system.
Our hours of operation are 8am to 5pm, Monday through Friday.
Our weekly scheduled maintenance window is from 10pm on Saturday to 2am on Sunday.
CWS maintains and supports a custom distribution of Drupal. We provide comprehensive support for sites using this distribution on our servers. This support falls into three categories:
Things we’ll do for you:
- Core installation — CWS will install the UNT or UNT System Drupal distribution, including all of our most recommended modules, themes, and configurations.
- Non-security updates — CWS will apply non-security-related module updates upon request.
- Security updates — CWS will automatically apply security updates for Drupal core and contributed modules regularly.
- Module recommendation and installation — CWS will help select the best modules to implement functionality not provided in our core distribution and install those modules as appropriate. However, CWS can’t assist in configuring or maintaining such modules beyond installation.
Things we’ll teach you to do:
- Everyday site-building tasks — CWS will answer support questions about the most common site-building tasks with an emphasis on teaching the necessary skills.
Things we won’t help you with:
While we may be able to offer advice as time allows, the following areas are considered to be the site maintainer’s responsibility:
- Custom theme or site design
- Custom functionality — Specifically, we can’t:
- Develop custom modules to provide features not available in any existing Drupal module.
- Create custom content types or views.
- Content and information architecture
- Drupal support on non-CWS servers — Our Drupal support SLA only extends to sites hosted on our servers. If your Drupal site is hosted elsewhere, we can’t install our custom distribution or provide any other support detailed above.
We provide domain names to our hosting providers via the ITSS Data Communications DNS service. As a general rule, all domain names pointing to our servers must end in unt.edu, untsystem.edu, or untdallas.edu.
We reserve the right to remove a website or application if the website or application: (1) compromises the confidentiality, integrity, or availability of University data or information systems; (2) violates University policies or laws that govern the use of University data; or (3) performs a function that is inappropriate for a public-facing internet site. Examples of inappropriate use of this service include, but are not limited to:
- Security issues resulting from software flaws
- Site neglect and failure to apply security patches
- Spam or other inappropriate commercial activity
- Publication or collection of information inappropriate for a public-facing web server such as credit card numbers, health information, social security numbers, or FERPA-protected information